TriCore Solutions Survey Shows Majority of Organizations Moving to or Considering a Move to the Cloud
Findings from more than 200 IT industry professionals highlight cloud adoption trends, IT spending, and the path to digital transformation.
BOSTON – (May 15, 2017) – Organizations across industries are unanimously adopting the cloud, or are considering doing so, according to a new study* conducted by TriCore Solutions, the application management experts. The research, based on survey results from more than 200 IT industry professionals, outlines how IT departments are adapting strategies to support their organizations’ digital transformation efforts and growth objectives.
While many organizations see a move to the cloud as a key component to their digital transformation strategy, less than 20 percent of professionals surveyed said their organization is using the public cloud. Gartner predicts the worldwide public cloud services market will grow 18 percent in 2017 to $246.8B, up from $209.2B in 2016 – indicating increased public cloud use in the coming months. By examining the challenges and trends with the greatest influence on IT strategies and cloud adoption, the research uncovers adjustments that IT leaders may make to support corporate objectives.
Key findings from the survey include:
- Digital Transformation Trends: Insights from the study reinforce the perception that cloud adoption continues to rise, with 85 percent of organizations either in the process of or considering moving operations to the cloud – and citing reduced costs and streamlined operations as the primary drivers for doing so. Forty-one percent see data analytics or big data as a related driver, while 25 percent see the Internet of Things (IoT) as a related driver.
- Harnessing the Power of the Cloud: Forty-nine percent of respondents are using private cloud, while 32 percent are using hybrid and 19 percent are using a public cloud. More than half of respondents rely on a cloud provider and 35 percent rely on a managed service provider (MSP) to ease uncertainty about the best (or most realistic) path to digital transformation.
- Lingering Security Concerns: Nearly all respondents agree that security is a major concern when discussing public cloud adoption. However, security concerns were slightly lower for those respondents who rely on an MSP, shedding light on the value of managed security services that assess and monitor an organization’s applications environment as new threats develop.
- Building a Digital Transformation Dream Team: IT skills and experience or team bandwidth were the second most cited barriers to cloud adoption – after security concerns – due to the varying skills required to create a deep IT bench for successful cloud deployment and management.
- Budgeting for Transformation: Forty-three percent of respondents say 40 percent or more of the company’s budget is allocated to digital transformation efforts - and with these changes, companies are evaluating their IT spend often. Most respondents believe their IT budget will change in the next year, with 68 percent of those respondents indicating it will increase.
“As organizations move towards a cloud-first strategy, IT leaders need a strategic roadmap to ensure they are choosing the right journey through digital transformation,” said Mark Clayman, CEO and President of TriCore Solutions. “Though there is no ‘one-size fits all’ approach to the cloud, partnering with the right cloud provider or MSP allows organizations to unlock the keys to today’s digital age, helping them better understand and efficiently leverage the data available to them.”
*Research was conducted in April 2017 using Researchscape, with opt-in responses from 230+ respondents who work in IT or Technology Implementation at companies with 250+ employees.
About TriCore Solutions
TriCore Solutions, the application management experts, provides a full suite of scalable and reliable managed application, cloud and infrastructure hosting, and consulting services to enterprise organizations. With 17 years of experience, the Company delivers its services and the TriCore Trusted Promise to more than 260 enterprise-class companies worldwide to reduce costs, raise service levels, improve customer experience, increase business agility, and accelerate innovation, unlocking the business value from their IT investments. Our partners include industry leaders such as Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, AWS, IBM, HP and EMC. TriCore Solutions is headquartered in Boston, MA, with offices in India and throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.tricoresolutions.com and @tricorenow on Twitter.